Debian just refused to work correctly on my mum's laptop. She needs to print to PDF, but firefox just freezes. Konqueror was working, but it then broke. I decided I had had enough of it, burnt a Kubuntu CD and installed.

The MD5SUM of libz doesn't match, so it doesn't want to install it. This makes installing almost anything else difficult if not impossible.

Using the running system the installer has, I changed the apt sources file so it'd look for the files on the online mirrors as well, but it didn't quite work. Now it can't find the CD, so everything has to be installed through the 'net. My connection speed is around 512Kbps to 1Mbps depending on the day, server my connection goes through...(no, seriously), so I'm still downloading the system.

I'm not too sure I've installed GRUB correctly, so I'll have to wait untill tomorrow to see wether all this fighting with the system was worth it.